Effectiveness of the alcoholic extracts of leaves and barks of eucalyptus plant (Eucalyptus camldulenis L.) against adults of cowpea beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae).
Journal of Kerbala for Agricultural Sciences,
2019, Volume 6, Issue 2, Pages 20-28
AbstractThis study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of three concentrations (1.25, 2.5 and 5%) of the alcoholic extract of leaves and bark of eucalyptus plant (Eucalyptus camldulenis L.) against cowpea beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) for 24 and 48 hours after treatment compared with control treatment. The result showed the effectiveness of leaves and barks extracts on the mortality of insects' adults. The highest mortality reached 60.00 % and 80.00% with the concentration 5% of bark extract after 24 and 48 hours respectively while the lowest mortality was 36.67% and 66.67% after 24 and 48 hours respectively at 1.25 % of leaves extract. The attraction rate of insect was 9.5% for 5% treatment and 3.66% at 1.25% treatment compared to the expulsion rate which was 23.5% at the concentration 5% and 21.83% at 2.5% for leaves and barks respectively.
- Abbott, W. S. (1925). A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide. Journal of Economic Entomology, 18, 265–267.
- Akbar, M. M., AL-Mansour, N. A., and Nadhum, A. (2011). The effect of some aqueous plant extract and their powders on the biological activity of house fly Musca domastica L. (Diptera: Muscidae). Journal of Basrah Researches (Sciences), 37(2), 1–17.
- Al-Jassany, A. A. (2007). Comparative study on the effect of Actellic insecticide with the extracts and powders of some plants in cowpea seeds protection from infestation with southern cowpea beetle. Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) (Coleoptera : Bruchidae). University of Kufa.
- Al-Kanani, L. Q. (2014). Stady effect of seed powders some medicinal plants on the death Callosobruchus maculates (Fab.) (Bruchidae, Coleoptera). Journal of Kerbala University, 12(3), 124–132.
- Al-mousawi, A. ., Husain, A. A., Ameen, S. ., and Fthalla, M. I. (2012). Toxicity of some plant powders and their effectiveness as material repellentagainst infection onadults of rice weevil Sitophilus oryzae Linn.(Coleopteran: Curculionidae). Kufa Journal for Agricultural Sciences, 4(1), 378–391.
- Al-Rawi, K. M., and Khalafullah, A. M. (2000). Design and analysis of agricultural experiments. University of Mosul: Dar Al Kutub For Printing & Publishing.
- Al–Mallah, N. M., Mustafa, S. A., and Qasseer, W. A. (2007). Attraction and repellency effect of wood extracts of some forest trees on termite Microcerotermes diversus Silv. (Isoptera: Termitidae). Basrah Journal of Science, 25(1), 73–84.
- Appel, A. G., Moar, W. J., and Tanley, M. J. (1999). Water loss and mortality of adult cowpea weevils (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) exposed to desiccants and desiccating environments. Environ. Entomol, 28, 979–982.
- Ayad, F. A., & Alyouse, E. F. (1994). No Title development of resistance to some insecticides in cowpea weevil. Entamol. Soc. Egypt, 15, 19–23.
- Daoud, A. S., Al – Dwlaimy, B. M., and Abdal – Jabbar, H. D. (2010). Biological effect of some plants extracts on Callosobruchus maculates (Fab.) (Bruchidae, Coleoptera). Tikrit Journal of Pure Science, 15(1), 81–91.
- Delwiche, L. D., and Slaughter, S. J. (2013). The Little SAS Book. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 53(9), 1689–1699.
- Essa, A. A. (2016). The Effects of volatile oils of Eugenia caruophilata and Eucalyptus camaldulensis in destruction Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab). Tikrit Journal of Pure Science, 16(4), 1813–1446.
- Hayder, A. A. (2015). Biological effect for oils of harmala seeds peganum harmala L. and fenugreek Trigonella foenum graecum L. in southern cowpea beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab). (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Tikrit Journal of Pure Science, 1(20), 71–79.
- Hill, D. S. (1990). Pests of stored products and their control. UK: London.
- Ibrahim, M. Y., and AL- Naser, Z. (2009). Study of efficacy of some extracts , oils and inert dusts agonst Cowpea Weevil , Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab). Colleoptera ; Damascus University Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 1(25), 107–120.
- Imeiri, K., and Ali, M. (2012). Effect of extract and powder of leaves of Eucalyptus camaldulensis (Dehnh) on some biological aspects of potato tuber moth Phthorimaea operculella ( Zeller ) in laboratory. Anbar Journal for Engineering Sciences, 10(1), 349–358.
- Jouki, M., and Khazaei, N. (2010). The antimicrobial activities of methanolic extracts of Eucalyptus camaldulensis against Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Journal of Research in Agricultural Science, 6(1), 63–67.
- Kestenholz, C., Stevenson, P. C., and Belmain, S. R. (2007). Comparative study of ﬁeld and laboratory evaluations of the ethnobotanical Cassia sophera L. (Leguminosae) for bioactivity againstthe storage pests Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) and Sitophilus oryzae (L.) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Stored Products Research, 43, 79–86.
- Ladd, T. L., Jacobson, M., and Buriff, C. R. (1978). Japanese Beetles: Extracts from Neem tree seeds as feeding deterrents. Journal of Economic Entomology, 5(71), 810–813.
- Mahmood, E. A., Mzahem, N. A., and Hasson, B. N. (2016). The Efficiency of Terpenes extracts of Eucalyptus Camaldulensis Seed to control larval stage of Callosobruchus maculates (Coleoptera:Bruchidae). Baghdad Science Journal, 4(13), 625–630.
- Mustafa, S. A. (2011). A Study on feeding preferences of sapwood and heartwood for some forest trees by termite, Microcerotermes gabrielis Weld.(Isoptera : Termitidae ) Shaheen A.Mustafa College of Agriculture , Kirkuk University. Journal Of Kirkuk University For Agricultural Sciences, 2(1), 1–17.
- Ranjana, S., and Beenam, S. (1999). Repellent response of cowpea weevils Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) to som plant extracts. J. Applied Zoology. Research, 10(2), 130–132.
- Shaaban, A., and Al-Mallah, N. M. (1993). Pesticides. Iarq: Dar Al Kutub For Printing & Publishing.
- Article View: 129
- PDF Download: 25