The effect discharges of Shatt al-Arab river on the total catch in Iraqi marine waters in the North - West Gulf
Journal of Kerbala for Agricultural Sciences,
2018, Volume 5, Issue 5, Pages 166-177
AbstractIraqi marine fisheries in north-west the Gulf have been studied in order to know relationship between discharge water from shatt Al-arab river and Iraqian marine catch during 2017. The present study identified the amounts of the water from Tigris to Shatt al-Arab for the period 2014-2016. The results showed annual discharges were 53.7, 39.1 and 49.9 m3.s-1 respectively, the total annual fishing catch recorded 5553, 3391 and 3992 ton for the years 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively. The demo fishing recorded the highest rate during the summer months of 41.6 kg. h-1. The correlation between monthly quantities of fishing and catch per unit effort (CPUE) with the discharge of the Tigris river which entering the Shatt al-Arab was weak and positive that indicating in the presence of different seasonal effects on fisheries type. The study revealed the strongest positive correlation between total annual catch and annual water discharges expenditure, as well as confirmed the impact of water discharges, ecosystem and climate change on quantity fisheries. In addition, the study illustrated the changing in discharges followed social and economic impacts. Our needing reform in fisheries policies and planning.
- Abaychi, J. K.; Darmoian, S. A. and Douabul, A. A. (1988) The Shatt Al-Arab: A nutrient salts and organic matter source to the Arabian Gulf. Hydrobiologia, 166: 217-224.
- Al-Asadi, S. A. ; Abdullah, S. S. ; Al-Mahmood, H. KH. (2015). Estimating the Minimum Amount of the Net Discharge in Shatt Al- Arab River (south of Iraq). Adab Al-Basrah 72: 285-314 (In Arabic).
- Al-Husaini, M. (2003) Fishery of shared stock of the silver pomfret, Pampus argenteus, in the Northern Gulf; a case study. Papers Presented at the Norway-FAO Expert Consultation on the Management of Shared Fish Stocks: Bergen, Norway, 7-10 October 2002, (695), 44 p.
- Ali, T. S.; Mohamed, A. R. M. and Hussain, N. A. (1998) The Status of Iraqi Marine Fisheries during 1990-1994. Marina Mesopotamia, 13: 129-147.
- Al-Mahmoud, H. K. (2015) Hydrological changes in the lower part of Mesopotamian Basin. Iraqi Journal of Aquaculture 12 (1): 47- 70) (In Arabic).
- Al-Mahmoud, H. K. ; Abdullah, S. S. and Mahdi, A. A- J. (2008) Interaction between water bodies in the Marshlands and Shatt al - Arab (southern Iraq). Journal of Mesopotamia for Marine Sciences, 23 (1): 181-199 (In Arabic).
- Al-Noor SS., (1998) Reproductive biology of Tenualosa ilisha in the Shatt Al-Arab River. PhD Thesis, Basrah University, Iraq, (In Arabic).
- Al-Okailee, M.T.K. (2001). Abundance and distribution of fish eggs and larvae in Shatt Al-Arab Estuary in North West Arabian Gulf. M.Sc. thesis, University of Basrah, 72 pp. (In Arabic).
- Beamish, R. J. Neville, C. E. M.; Thomson, B. L. Harrison, P. J. and John, M. St. (1994). A relationship between Fraser River discharge and interannual production of Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) and Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi) in the Strait of Georgia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences., 51: 2843–2855.
- Bibik, V. A.; Iushin, A. E.; Spiridorov, B. A.; Assrev, Y. P. and Kozakov, E. G. (1970) Results of the investigation of the third research expedition of Azcherniro on board the SRTM Myslitel to the ArabianGulf, December 1969- March 1970. Iraqi Fishing State Company, 124p.
- Caddy, J. F., and Bakun, A. (1994) A tentative classification of coastal marine ecosystems based on dominant processes on nutrient supply. Ocean & Coastal Management is an international journal., 23: 201–211.
- Costanza, R., R. ; D’arge, R. De Groot, S. ; Faber, M. Grasso, B. ; Hannon, K. ;Limburg, S. Naeem, R.V. ; O’Neill, J. ;Paruelo, R.G. ; Raskin, P. ;Sutton and M. van den Belt (1997). The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387: 253–260.
- FAO. (2011) Review of the state of world marine fishery resources. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper, 569, 334p.
- Fawzi, N. A. and Mahdi, Bayan A. (2014) Iraq’s inland Water quality and their impact on the North- Western Arabian Gulf. Marsh Bulleten,9(1): 1-22
- Hameed, A. H. and Aljorany, Y. S. (2011). Investigation on nutrient behavior along Shatt Al-Arab River River, Basrah, Iraq. Journal of Applied Scientific Research, 7: 1340-1345.
- Hussein, N A.; Yousef, O.H. and Shaker, A.H. (1989) The influence of the Shatt al - Arab on the maritime nature of the Northwest Gulf region. Arabian Gulf Journal, 21: 173-188 (In Arabic).
- Ismail, W. A.; Al-Yamani, F.Y. and Al-Rifaei ,K.S.(2007) Field survey and perturbation experiment in testing the role of eutrophication in initiating red tide in Kuwait bay. International Journal of Ocean nad Oceanography, 2 (1) : 187-211 pp.
- Jones, D. A.; Price, A. R. G.; Al-Yamani, F. and Al-Zaidan, A. (2002) Coastal and marine ecology. In: Khan, N. Y.; Munawar, M. and Price A. R. G. (Eds.). The Gulf ecosystem: Health and sustainability, pp. 65-103, Ecovision World Monograph Series, Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Jones, D.A. (1985). The biological characteristic of the marine habitats found with in ROPME sea area. Proceeding of ROPME symoposium on Regional Marine pollution Monitoring and Research Programes (ROPME/GC-4/2):71-89.
- Loneragan, N.R.; Potter, I.C.; Lenanton, R.C. and Caputi, N. (1986) Spatial and seasonal differences in fish fauna in the shallows of a large Australian estuary. Marine Biology journal., 92.
- Loneragan, N.R. and Bunn, S.E. (1999) River flows and estuarine ecosystems: implications for fisheries from a review and case study of the Logan River, southeast Queensland. Australian Journal of Ecology 24: 431–440.
- Mohamed, A.-R. M. and Qasim, A. M.-H., (2014) Trend of Hilsa Shad, Tenualosa ilisha Fishery in Iraqi Marine Waters Northwest Arabian Gulf. Arab Gulf Journal for Scientific Research 32 (4) 2014: 251-258 (In Arabic).
- Mohamed, A.-R. M. and Qasim, A. M.-H. (2014). Trends in the Artisanal Fishery in Iraqi Marine Waters, Arabian Gulf (1965-2011). Asian Journal of Applied Sciences, 2 (2).
- Montagna, P.A.; M. Alber, P. Doering, and Connor, M.S. (2002). Freshwater Inflow: Science, Policy, Management. Estuaries 25: 1243–1245.
- Pati, S. and Pati, D.K. (1983)The role of rainfall on the Hilsa fishery along the Orissa coast. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 29(1-2): 234-240.
- Pauly, D. (1984) Length converted catch curve. A powerful tool for fisheries research in the tropics (Part II), ICLARM Fishbyte, 2(1): 17-19.
- Pikitch, E. K.; Santora, C., Babcock, E.A. ;Bakun, A. ;Bonfil, R., Conover, D.O. ;Dayton, P. ;Doukakis, P. ;Fluharty, D. ;Heneman, B. ;Houde, E.D. ;Link, J. ;Livingston, P.A. ;Mangel, M. ;McAllister, M.K. ;Pope, J., Sainsbury, K.J. ; ( 2004) Ecosystem-based fishery management. Science 305 (5682), 346–347.
- Qasim, A. M-H., (2014) Assessment and management of stock Tenualosa ilisha (Hamlton- Buchanan, 1822) in the marine waters. M.Sc. thesis, University of Basrah, 88 pp. (In Arabic).
- Qasim, A. M-H. and Ali, T. S. (2018) Impact Assessment of Sunken Vessels in the Northwest Arabian Gulf on Socioeconomic Aspects of Iraqi Fishermen. (unpublished)
- Robins, J.B. ;Halliday, I.A. ; Staunton-Smith, J. ; Mayer, D.G. and Sellin, M.J. (2005) Freshwater-flow requirements of estuarine fisheries in tropical Australia: a review of the state of knowledge and the application of a suggested approach. Marine and Freshwater Research 56: 343–360.
- Sharaf El-Din, S. H. (1988) Temperature, salinity and circulation in Saudi coastal waters (Arabian Gulf) during May 1985. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences.,17: 1-8.
- Sherwood, J.E. and Backhouse, G.N. (1982) Hydrodynamics of salt wedge estuaries – implications for successful spawning in black bream (Acanthopagrus butcheri). Warrnambool Institute of Advanced Education, Faculty of Applied Science and Technology, Research Report 82/3, 5 pp. + figs.
- Article View: 10
- PDF Download: 6